Monday, April 11, 2011

International GALA

International GALA in April is the biggest event at Clark University. Students present national dances at this concert celebrating Clark’s diversity. Twenty countries presented their dances this year.
From my very first days at Clark I heard a lot of exciting comments about GALA. That’s why when my friend has asked to me to participate in it for Ukraine I was very happy. It was interesting and surprising to find out that most of dancers were from all over the world and only one originally from Ukraine. Then our trainer said that people only need to have a desire to present any country and that’s all. So, as a result our GALA team had people from Mexico, Albania, Mozambique, Senegal, Belarus, Slovenia, Singapore and so on.
I think one of the most interesting parts of this event was our practices. We worked hard for two months, fell down a lot, and slept just a few hours every day…but it was real fun at the same time.
One day guys needed to hold us on their hands and continue to dance but they couldn’t on the first attempt. So the boys made a joke that the girls need to be on a diet and we answered that the boys need to go to the gym every day... But, of course, nobody went on a diet and nobody went to the gym so often.
Another moment which makes me smile occurred at another practice. The idea was to move in a circle so fast that it would look like the girls don’t touch the floor. After two days without any success we did it at last. I believe everyone could hear a crazy scream “I’m flying! I’m flying!” at Atwood Hall.
Of course, there were some obstacles too. Sometimes it was even impossible to find a free room for practice. Then we had to dance in the hall. Actually, we danced anywhere at any time.
And costumes were a big problem for us. Without enough money to buy them we had to make them by ourselves. It was funny because that’s exactly what women in Ukraine did a hundred years ago. They sewed clothes while men worked outside. So we learned not only a national Ukrainian dance but also a part of the culture.
The last challenge was mainly for our trainer Ira. She had to explain to us the necessity of special makeup and hairstyle for the stage. If you know girls you can imagine how they are serious about such things. “This color doesn’t fit me!” or “I look ugly without my bangs!” But Ira assured everyone that it’s an essential part of success. Great job, trainer!
And finally the day of the concert came. While we’d been very nervous and tired after sleepless nights, the dance was great. To hear the audience’s applause at the end of the dance was the best reward. The feeling of satisfaction for us was so nice. I’ll never forget this moment. I believe everyone should see or even better participate in such a show. It’s a really great experience!
our practice:

No comments:

Post a Comment