Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Car addicted"

Can you imagine American family without a car? Going on foot to the office or to the store? I definitely cannot. In the beginning I explained this phenomenon with American laziness. But the first attempt to buy some stuff for my apartment showed me that I MUST have a car. The distance between my place and different stores, malls, banks and etc. is sooooo big in comparison with Russia. I’m missing time when I could just wake up, go downstairs and buy warm bread and fresh milk for the breakfast in one of the small shops in front of the house. Or I could go to “bazar” (local Russian markets) in the end of the street where old-aged women sell fruits which they grow. But now if one of my friends cannot drive me shopping becomes a challenge for me! Crazy car addiction!!!
So I’m really going to get an American driver’s license and purchase the car. Last week I’ve got a learner’s permit. One exam and I’ll get the license!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lena!
    Everything seems so familiar to me! I'm speaking not only about cars at the moment, but about whole life in the States and studying at Clark. I miss it so much, you can't even imagine.
    By the way, where do you live? We stayed in one of the hostels and used to walk a lot or travel by bus. That was quite OK. But I feel you when you speak about car addiction. I had a car during my first visit to the States and that was the greatest experience ever. And walking to the shops in Main street, especially in the evening, wasn't so nice..)Having a car you don't need to ask for a ride and wait for a bus. It is an integral part of life which gives you freedom and gives you a chance to explore the country of visit the way you like.

    ReplyDelete